Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Keeper of Memories

This past weekend I was able to attend a scrapbooking retreat. This was the 4th year I have gone, and I am already looking forward to next year!!

I have been a scrapbooker,
a.k.a.
keeper of the family memories,
for about 15 years now, and I just love it! Not only is it a fun craft-form for me, but it is an important part of our family's history.
I document EVERYTHING!!! My kids are always looking for photo-ops for me, and even hollering..."Don't you DARE take a picture of this!!!" LOL

Our albums not only have the good, fun times in them, they also have the hard, trying times in them as well. I feel it is just as important to remember the rougher times as well as the happy ones.

A common theme throughout our albums is the faithfulness of God.

When I started cropping, I only had 2 girls, and I wanted to make them each their own set of childhood albums to take with them when they leave home.

A story book of their lives.

Then came the other 6 children. HAHA! The joke was on me!

However, even though I do get woefully behind, I am doing this for of my kiddos. I want them to have this documentation of their lives. God has been faithful to each one of them in different ways. I have written it all down for them.


I have included photos of grandparents that won't always be here; photos of friends we've lost along the way; photos of injuries; testimonies; love letters to each of them. I've put pictures of me & their daddy...together, and with them. I've told them how much we love each other. I've told them of some of the difficult times we've had in our married life, and how God has met us there.

The kids' books aren't the only project I work on, though. I have a set of Christmas books which document all of the fun we've had since Lloyd & I married. The cookies we've made, the gifts we've made & given...so much fun!

I also have seperate books for our vacations. So far, I have 2 traditional scrapbooks FULL, and also 2 digital books. I have decided that I will only be doing our travels in digital. It is fast & fun.

One book that I have made is a "Blessings" book. I encourage everyone to make some form of this type of book for your family. In this book, I have photos of all sorts of things that God has had a hand in. Some things, like empty cupboard & refrigerator photos don't seem like appropriate fare for a book entitled "Blessings", but in reading the story that goes along with the photos, the reader quickly sees that taking us down to the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, was just another way for Him to show his love & faithfulness to us.


I love this book.

In fact, my main reason for creating it was to have tangible documentation of God's love for us to go to when we were feeling down, lost & alone.

It has worked beautifully!

Plus, my children have a visual testimony of God's amazing hand in our lives!

Yes, I buy tons of paper, stickers, flowers, tools....the list goes on & on. However, that is not WHY I scrapbook.


I scrapbook for the stories.

How are your children going to know your testimony?

How will they remember theirs?

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I had the privilege to go through 2 of those books (Morgan & Heather's). What was so amazing about it was hearing Adam and Ella try to tell me about Morgan. What was even more cute about it was hearing them say "Jennifer, will you read us this story?" and You were not allowed to skip a page. I think that this is AWESOME. I pray that when it is my turn in life to be a mother, that I will have the desire and ability to create something just as you have. I better get to writing about EVERYTHING I have faced up to this point...LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome idea about the "Blessings" book. I will look into starting one of those for our family. I will always be thankful to you for all those years ago, getting me interested in scrapbooking. I need to get some work done, so far behind on several projects. :o) Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete